< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

If you give a child a book...

Started by Marie , author of Craft Ideas, Kids Crafts, Recipes and More | Make and Takes 4/25/2012 10:36:16 AM

I love the storybooks by Laura Joffe Numeroff! Her characters take quite an adventure from one thing to the next as events unfold. 

If you give a mouse a cookie

If you give a moose a muffin

If you give a pig a pancake

And many many more! 

Well, what if we give a child a book? What would happen then?

Sometimes I'm the one getting caught up in electronics, video games, and tv shows as part time babysitters for my kids. But when I give my kids a book or a bucket full of a few different picture books, they are just as engaged as they are with electronics. And I forget that! It's mostly me and my encouragement that is lacking!

So I've started something new where I found a plastic bucket and fill it with picture books. It's portable so the kids can take it where ever they want (usually right near me) and it's filled with books they want to read. So far, it's working great and they are eating up all the books! 

What are you doing to help give a child a book?

What ends up happening next? 

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9
""

Reply by i.ikeda

4/25/2012 11:03:13 AM

If you give a child a book, you'll both spend hours reading, huddled, cuddled, sharing adventures.

If you give a child a book, you open the door to unimaginable growth.

I love it!!!

i.ikeda's profile picture
i.ikeda said ...
If you give a child a book, you'll both spend hours reading, huddled, cuddled, sharing adventures.

""

Reply by Kat

author of Mama's Losin' It! 4/25/2012 12:14:07 PM

If you give a child a book they will ask you to it to them...when you read the book to the child they will ask you to read it again...when you read it again they will ask you to read it again...when you read it again they will ask you to read it again...when you read it again they will ask you to read it again....

When the child goes to sleep you will hide the book and give your child a different book in the morning...when you read the different book in the morning your child will ask you to read it again...when you read it again they will ask you to read it again...when you read it again...

okay I'm done. ;)

I'm laughing sooo hard!! So funny and so true!

Mama Kat's profile picture
Mama Kat said ...
If you give a child a book they will ask you to it to them...when you read the book to the child they will ask you to read it again...when you read it again they will ask you to read it again...when you read it again they will ask you to read it again...when you read it again they will ask you to read it again....

What a great idea! I purchase books when I see my children enjoying something. For example I pre order all of the Rick Riordan books (the two series he has out) so they are mailed as soon as released to encourage my teen to read.

When my daughter started reading Junie B. Jones I purchased her a lot of 17 books form ebay.

I love the idea of the plastic pail to tote around with you!

""

Reply by JDaniel4's Mom

author of JDaniel4's Mom 4/25/2012 1:12:33 PM

If you read the same book over and over again to a child, when it is quiet time you may hear them picture walking or tellling the story to their stuffed animals in their room.

If you give a child a book, be prepared to read it over and over and over again until you have it memorized :)

Don't get me wrong, I love reading to the kids. But my kids are little still so I also like giving them picture books that they can "read" to each other.

""

Reply by Sili

author of My Mamihood 4/26/2012 5:50:14 PM

I love this (true story, I started a poem eons ago with the same title). 

I love Laura's books. I've been reading to my little girl since she was in the womb.  Even then, she would flip and toss when I read to her. Now, my little girl plays with books as often as with any electronic toy she might have.

If you give a child a book, be ready to have a lofty book allowance! ;-)

And I agree with Natalie, be ready to read it over and over and over again. And also in my case, we have reached the "it's my turn" so be prepared to listen to a lovely story whether they can read or not.

""

Reply by Teaching Tiny Tots

author of Teaching Tiny Tots Blog — 5/1/2012 7:28:24 AM

Love the bucket idea...we like colorful baskets.  The girls have a book program at the end of each school year where you do a book swap.  You donate books that are in good condition and each child gets a new book to take home.  I think this is a neat way for each child to get a "new" book!

Marie's profile picture
Marie said ...
Sometimes I'm the one getting caught up in electronics, video games, and tv shows as part time babysitters for my kids. But when I give my kids a book or a bucket full of a few different picture books, they are just as engaged as they are with electronics. And I forget that! It's mostly me and my encouragement that is lacking!

So I've started something new where I found a plastic bucket and fill it with picture books. It's portable so the kids can take it where ever they want (usually right near me) and it's filled with books they want to read. So far, it's working great and they are eating up all the books! 

What are you doing to help give a child a book?

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Stay friendly and respectful and don't forget to have fun. The opinions expressed by Random House Read & Play Community members and bloggers are that of the member and do not necessarily reflect the view of the Random House Children's Books brand. By posting to this community, you agree to abide by these community rules. BlogFrog community leaders are paid on behalf of Random House.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS