< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Picture Books with No Words

Started by Marie , author of Craft Ideas, Kids Crafts, Recipes and More | Make and Takes 5/1/2012 8:00:10 AM

Have you ever read the book, Tuesday by David Wiesner? The first time I saw this book, I didn't know what to think. "What? There's no words! But every story needs words!"

Then I opened it up and looked at every page. It was magical. The pictures are wonderful and they tell their own story. It actually quite amazing how you can get so much story out of a book with no words. 

It's such a silly and fun story that it really tells itself. So much is happening on each page. The author shares so much without saying anything. 

What do you think? Have you read this book or other picture books like it? 

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4
""

Reply by PragmaticMom

author of Pragmatic Mom 5/1/2012 8:38:31 AM

I love wordless picture books. I'm working on a post (for almost a year) now.

A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka just won a Caldecott.

We also love David Weisner's Flotsam. You will love that if you love Tuesday.

The Lion and The Mouse by Jerry Pickney is so gorgeously illustrated with layers and layers of glazed watercolors. It's a retelling of the Aesop fable and also won a Caldecott.

Isn't his lion incredible? Watercolor! Layers and layers of translucent watercolor!

As much as I appreciate the art in these books, and know how wonderful they are for children's imaginations, they just don't work for me as children's books. I've found that I like having the story there when I'm reading aloud and my kids like that the text is the same every time, even if I read it with different intonations, we stop and chat at different points, etc.  I think these are wonderful, in principle...but it just isn't my thing.

You'd think as an art history person, I would just eat these up...and I do appreciate the beauty of the artwork. Something about the way I'm wired...

Ooo, I didn't know he wrote another book. I'll have to check it out!!

PragmaticMom's profile picture
PragmaticMom said ...
We also love David Weisner's Flotsam. You will love that if you love Tuesday.

I know what you mean, Candace. They are a different type of story. I love them just as much, but I do treat them differently. 

When I was teaching, it was a fun and different kind of story. I had to really work with the kids to get them to think of the story. So it was good for a different way to share!

Candace's profile picture
Candace said ...
As much as I appreciate the art in these books, and know how wonderful they are for children's imaginations, they just don't work for me as children's books. I've found that I like having the story there when I'm reading aloud and my kids like that the text is the same every time, even if I read it with different intonations, we stop and chat at different points, etc.  I think these are wonderful, in principle...but it just isn't my thing.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Stay friendly and respectful and don't forget to have fun. The opinions expressed by Random House Read & Play Community members and bloggers are that of the member and do not necessarily reflect the view of the Random House Children's Books brand. By posting to this community, you agree to abide by these community rules. BlogFrog community leaders are paid on behalf of Random House.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS