< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS

Tips and Tricks

Started by Julianna , author of The Mechanical Bull 11/11/2011 10:57:18 AM

I have an absolute obsession with bread, pasta and everything gluten-licious. What are your favorite gluten free alternatives? 

Share Conversation

Embed
+ Login to choose updates by email

Replies

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13
""

Reply by Alta

author of Tasty Eats at Home 11/11/2011 12:41:13 PM

For some quick-and-easy alternatives, I like to use spaghetti squash for a pasta substitute, or use a good gluten-free bread like Udi's. Lately, though, I've been eating grain-free and lower-carb, so I'm baking a lot of things with almond and coconut flour. It takes some getting used to (like any gluten-free baking!) but I am finally finding my groove!

I love the spaghetti squash idea! So easy and delicious! You don't even miss the pasta. Any winter gourd will naturally substitute.

Alta's profile picture
Alta said ...
For some quick-and-easy alternatives, I like to use spaghetti squash for a pasta substitute, or use a good gluten-free bread like Udi's. Lately, though, I've been eating grain-free and lower-carb, so I'm baking a lot of things with almond and coconut flour. It takes some getting used to (like any gluten-free baking!) but I am finally finding my groove!

""

Reply by Kacy

11/14/2011 4:24:51 PM

Almond & coconut flour? Would that only be in the US?

Alta's profile picture
Alta said ...

""

Reply by Sarah Brist

11/14/2011 9:22:57 PM

I love rice noodles of all kinds. We have an amazing Co-Op here in town that sells just about anything you could want or need gluten free!

""

Reply by Alta

author of Tasty Eats at Home 11/15/2011 8:28:03 AM

Kacy - I'm in the US, so maybe? I order my almond flour from Honeyville Grain, and I think they only ship US. However, not sure about coconut flour. I prefer Tropical Traditions, but not sure whether they ship outside of the US or not. Where are you? If in Canada, I could ask a friend of mine who is in Toronto that frequently uses these two flours - maybe she has a good source to recommend!

""

Reply by April

11/16/2011 1:16:47 AM

I love the brown rice pasta's and am also using almond and coconut flour in some of my baking.  I recently ordered from Nutsonline.com and had a great experience, they have a GF certified section with cereals, snacks and flours.

""

Reply by MIke

12/4/2011 1:35:57 PM

This may be a basic, but what is the best way to thaw / warm Udi's Break (Multi Grain and Buns in specific) so they are not too hard and "feel" more like traditional bread?

I have kids that would like it better I think if I could get it that consistency.

Thanks for any tips!

@Alta- I just had spaghetti squash with sauce for dinner last night- love it! Its so light and healthy!

""

Reply by Nancy

12/6/2011 11:40:11 AM

I was wondering about oat flour is it the same thing as eating oats. I read not to eat oats..

""

Reply by Jenni

author of Gluten Free Kitchens 12/6/2011 3:47:23 PM

Nancy - Here is a really great blog post I read today by someone who does not tolerate oats or gluten. ~ http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/

I have a severe almost immediate allergic reaction to gluten and I have never reacted to oats that have been certified gluten free.  From what I understand there is a chance for oats to cross pollinate or to be contaminated by gluten containing cereal grains during transport.  I use Bob's Red Mill certified gluten free oat flour and certified gluten free oats.

Another issue to be aware of (and the blog does well to explain this) is there is another protein in Oats that some people are sensitive to.  ~  Hope this helps.

Reply to Conversation

-OR-

Join & Reply Switch to the simple version
Please review the rules of this community before posting:

Stay friendly, respectful and have fun. The opinions expressed by Udi's Gluten Free Community members and bloggers are that of the members. We reserve the right to delete self promotional material (ie. giveaways, link ups, products, spam, etc.) that does not relate to the community discussion.

< BACK TO ALL CONVERSATIONS